Monday, August 13, 2012

oneword

With only a few days to go before school starts again, I am going through my emails. I subscribed to The 2 Sisters (Daily 5/Cafe) Tip of the Week emails but I never looked at them. Today, I found something interesting. On the February 24th email, there was a link to oneword.com. It's a very simple writing exercise. Every day, one word pops up and you have 1 minute to write about it. When your minute is up, you submit and get to see what everyone wrote. I feel like it can be a very powerful tool. However, I have no clue how to make it work in my classroom.

PROS: 
Seeing what everyone else writes is fantastic for 3rd graders. It's instant sharing.
It has the potential to expand the vocabulary of my students.
There is no leg work on my part. My students can just hop on and go to town.
I can see what they all wrote about and how much they wrote.

CONS:
There is (seemingly) no filter, which is not great for using with 3rd graders. 
My students may not know the words each day.
They have to be able to type well if they are going to type more than a simple sentence in 1 minute.

Now to sit back, digest, and bounce this off of my PLN. How would YOU use oneword.com?

No comments:

Post a Comment